Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Road Trip: Day 5

Today we woke up and headed down the the main beach in Buzios, Geriba.  It is another beautiful beach with unreal views.  I couldn't believe that we were in the dead of winter and just lounging around on a beach in great weather.  The guys all went surfing.  I had to pass because I wasn't feeling too well (I think the effects of road trip food were finally kicking in).  The water was warm so nobody needed a wetsuit, which is always the best way to surf.  One of the lifeguards walked by me when I was hanging out, and I stopped him to chat.  The lifeguards have these really cool Buzios shirts that they wear.  Anyway, after some negotiation and convincing him that I live in the U.S., I was able to buy it from him (rule #2 - everything is negotiable).  I was psyched to have a unique souvenir.  Anyway, after awhile we headed into town for some lunch.  The sun was starting to go down and I had started to feel better.  Therefore, I was antsy because I missed the surf session early in the day.  Therefore, we arranged to rent a buggy, which are very popular in Buzios.  My buddy Earnie and I grabbed our boards, hopped in the buggy, and headed back to the beach for a sunset surf.  It was a total blast.  The lowlight, however, was when the surf session was over I went over to the bushes to grab a board bag, which we had stashed there earlier.  I ended up getting bit by over 40 mosquitos (we counted).  That was the complete opposite of fun.  The good news is that when you get bitten that much, your body can hardly feel it because it is so widespread (I was trying to think positively!).  We headed back to town again that night for a great dinner.  We walked around a ton and ended up having drinks at several bars.  I even found a great art store that had some unbelievable deals.  The store had only been open for three weeks and I guess they were anxious to get some sales.  I bought three very cool, large paintings for less than the price that I would pay for one painting in Floripa.  They even agreed to ship them to me for free!  It was the perfect end to another great day on the road.

No comments: