Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Road Trip: Day 3

Today was one of the best days of all-time. The island is really big, and we wanted to see a lot more of the beaches on the other side. Therefore, we hired a private boat to get us there. It was expensive, but we figured it would be more than worth it. They initially offered us a boat that would take three and a half hours to get to the beach for R$750 but after some negotation, we got a boat that would take 45 minutes for R$650. This just proved one of my favorite idioms: never accept the first offer! After taking off early, we cruised around checking out all the cool spots. There is literally no one at most of the beaches. It really is incredible. Now I know why so many people love it here. The beauty is shocking. When we found a surf spot thanks to the help of our captain, we grabbed our boards and surfed for awhile. We ended up surfing two spots completely by ourselves with not a single other human being or man made thing in sight. The swell is still here so most of the sets were at least six feet. I can´t describe how fun it was. We were yelling and cheering for each other on each wave. My buddy, Ernesto, is one of the coolest and happiest guys I know, and it was so much fun being sharing in this experience with him. I tried to think how many times in my life I would get to surf at a remote location with friends, and I figured the opportunities would be few and far between. Therefore, I really tried to take it all in and remember how lucky I am. After a big lunch, we headed back to Abraao, and here I am typing this message. We´re off to Buzios tomorrow. I´m going to miss this place, but I´m also excited to continue our journey and see other places (although I´m not excited for tomorrow´s travel - one boat ride and two bus rides). I can´t wait to post all of the pictures from today but unfortunately I won´t be able to do so until I get back next week. You won´t be disappointed.

More great news: I just found out that they found my bag in the Floripa airport and it´s on its way to the Rio airport. My buddy and his girlfriend are on their way to meet us in Buzios and I had them go early to the airport to check on the status of the bag. They are picking it up in Rio and I will have it tomorrow! Apparently, I´m famous in both the Floripa and Rio airports because I called so much (I don´t think they are used to that here but their nonchalant attitude was not giving me confidence). As with everything in Brazil, it probably seemed like no big deal to them that I was on an island without clothes, asthma medicine, etc. Take your time, I´ll be fine!!!

No comments: