Saturday, June 28, 2008

A Strange Term






When I was traveling last week I heard a term that I haven't heard in a long time.  We all were at a churrasco with some older Americans (around 40-50 years of ago) and they called me an ex-pat.  It really struck me as odd for some reason.  I think it is because, in my opinion, it is not a term used in my generation.  As the world becomes far more intertwined, it is no so uncommon these days to live in a foreign country.  I think in generations prior to mine it was far more difficult and rare to pick up and move to a foreign country.  Leaving the U.S. was not even considered a possibility, let alone an option.  To be an ex-pat, as rare as it was, probably seemed both bold and strange at the same time.  I think if my dad were to tell his parents that he wanted to move to a foreign country when he was 31, his parents would have looked at him like he said he was going to the moon.  When I told my parents that I wanted to move to Brazil, they were like, "Ok, sounds great."  Now living in a foreign country is so common that there isn't even a term for us anymore, and I would like to forever bar the word ex-pat.  We may look different but we are the same as everyone else: just people trying to make a living day by day....

One other comment I wanted to make about the term ex-pat is that I think it insinuates that you no longer are an American (or no longer want to be considered an American).  Think about it, ex-pat literally means former patriot.  I am very proud to be an American and never want to be considered a "former patriot."  Things are not so great in the U.S. right now (the war in Iraq, the housing collapse, a bear market, oil crossing $140, etc.), and I have to say that it is nice not to be completely as entrenched in these things as I was formerly.  However, what happens in the U.S. is still very important to me both personally and financially and, therefore, I care deeply and like to stay in tune with everything.  It's unfortunate that Americans often encounter anti-Americanism in other countries, especially considering that we were once a country that was adored and envied across the globe.  However, I will never shy away from my country.  Sometimes people here tell me, "Oh Chris, you're becoming a Brazilian,"  and I always respond the same way, "Nope, I'm just an American enjoying the Brazilian culture."  And by "enjoying," I mean REALLY enjoying...

Here are some pics from a big party we went to last night.  Some of the bigger clubs close for the winter and this was the closing party for one of them.  Great times to say the least.  

Mistakes, I've made a few.  Regrets, too few to mention...

No comments: